Filet Mignon with Tallow Seared Mushrooms and Onions
BY: Sarah Kelly
- 2 SRF 8 oz. filets mignons Buy Now
- 3 cups mixed assorted mushrooms, sliced in half if large
- 1 red onion, thick cut julienne
- ½ cup SRF beef tallow Sub butter, duck or any other favorite fat.
- 2 tablespoon sherry vinegar or better yet sherry wine
- 4 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup shallot, fine chopped
- 1 garlic clove, fine chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped
- pinch salt
- 2 pinches sugar
- splash water
- 2 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
Heat oven to 425°F.
Place a large cast iron skillet in the oven for 10 minutes.
Take the pan out of the oven and add fat. Return to the oven for about 1 minute.
Take pan with melted fat out of the oven and add the mushrooms and onions. Return to the oven. Let cook for about 5 to 8 minutes.
Take out and give a quick stir, add sherry vinegar or wine and let cook for an additional 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Take mushrooms and onions out of the pan and into a bowl.
Season steaks with salt and pepper.
Place the skillet on the stove top. Add a bit more fat to the pan and place your seasoned steaks in the hot pan. Turn the pan to medium high. Let cook undisturbed for about 3 minutes on each side.
Place the butter in the pan and turn down the heat. Tilt the pan and with a serving size tablespoon baste the steaks with the melted butter. Continuously cook the steaks with the warm butter ladled over them for another minute.
Place the steaks on a plate and with the butter still in the pan, add back in your mushrooms and onions to reheat quickly.
Spoon warm mushroom, onions and any extra butter over the steaks. Finish with a drizzle of shallot vinaigrette. Serving option – slice the filet mignon before topping with the mushroom mixture.
Mix all the above together except for the oil. Slowly whisk in the oil. Add 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, if you want to change it up.