American Wagyu Tenderloin Kalbi Kebabs
BY: Lee Anne Wong
PREPARE THE KEBABS
- 1 pound SRF American Wagyu Black Grade Tenderloin Pieces Buy Now
- 1 yellow onion, cut into 2” pieces for skewering
- 10 white button mushrooms
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1/2 Korean/Asian pear, peeled and grated (can substitute an apple)
- 1/2 medium onion, grated
- 4 scallions thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup cola soda, or lemon lime soda
Preheat the grill on high. If you are using wooden skewers soak them in water for 20 minutes. Make marinade and pour 1/4 of the marinade over the Wagyu Tenderloin Pieces and allow to marinate overnight.
Remove the beef from the marinade. Thread and alternate the marinated beef pieces with onion and mushrooms on each skewer. Grill the kebabs, turning, until the ingredients are charred and cooked to desired doneness, 5 to 15 minutes. Use the additional marinade to brush on the kebabs while they are cooking for extra caramelization. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and sliced green onions for garnish.
Combine all ingredients and whisk until the sugar dissolves and everything is well blended. Makes enough marinade for 4 lbs. of meat, extra marinade can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, can also be used for brushing.